Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Christ-like

Sooooo I did an intaglio print of this a year ago and I decided to turn it into a gigantic painting for my figure painting final. It is a large painting- 5x4 feet.
I am interested in the role that deities have played in cultures across the world. People regard their god/gods as the culmination or achievement of perfection according to the values and morals of their community. I am most familiar with Christianity and fascinated with Renaissance and Byzantine art.
I chose a very iconic looking depiction of Jesus because I wanted Him to be universally recognized. I hope that we recognize Christ because we will have seen Him in each other as we strive to become Christ-like people.
Perhaps my goal is lofty but I hope to meet that goal as I become a better artist.



detail

Title: I hope you like this  5x4' oil on panel

1 comment:

  1. I love it!!! Honestly!

    P.S. Your explanation on the paintings above made me pee my pants a little from laughing too hard.

    ReplyDelete